Student Tech Support & Resources
Student tech support resources including the UIC Help Center, Technical Helpdesk, and Self-Help options.
UIC Help Center
The UIC Help Center provides a centralized location to request services, get support, submit tickets and find answers. Go to the UIC Help Center to reset your password, Report an IT Problem, Ask an IT Question, view reported Service Notices, and more!
The Knowledge Base is a collection of how-to information and guidance to help you find the answers you need. If you aren’t sure how to do something, this is a good place to start.
Get virtual or in-person support from one of our consultants for help with Accounts/Passwords, UIC-WiFi, Printing, Duo 2-Factor Authentication (2FA), software installations, virus removal, and other university technology services.
Student Quick Tips Heading link
Student NetIDs are automatically assigned when a student is admitted to UIC. When the university admission process begins, students may activate their NetID. Once a student activates their NetID, they will be able to use their NetID and password to access Blackboard, UIC email, My UIC Portal, UIC Wi-Fi, computer labs, LinkedIn Learning, and many more university applications and services.
- What is my NetID?
- How do I activate my UIC NetID?
- What is the difference between my NetID and UIC email address?
- What are the requirements for a UIC NetID password?
Students can manage and reset NetID password, set up 2-factor authentication (2FA), establish account recovery settings and sign up for UIC Alerts in the NetID Center.
2FA helps secure your account, and the University’s sensitive data, by adding an extra layer of security. When logging in to university systems using your NetID and password, 2FA requires you to verify your identity using a second factor such as a mobile device and prevents anyone but you from logging in. UIC uses 2FA service provided by Duo Security, an industry leader in cybersecurity services.
Students are assigned with a university email account upon UIC NetID Activation. Depending on when you activated your NetID, your email account may be assigned to UIC Gmail or Microsoft Exchange, also known as Office 365. Any emails sent to your UIC email address will be sent to your UIC email account.
Blackboard Learn is the centrally-supported learning management system used by faculty and students at UIC. Students will be added to course sites two weeks before the start of the semester. Blackboard course sites are made unavailable to students by default, and instructors determine when to make their courses available to their students. Students can login to Blackboard using their NetID and password.
Technology Solutions computer labs are open to all current students, faculty, and staff at UIC.
Technology Solutions provides access to a number of file storage, sharing, and collaboration tools.
- What are the cloud-based storage solutions for UIC?
- How do I create a UIC Box account?
- How can I log in to U of I Box?
- Help, I am getting Invalid Credentials or another error message when logging into or signing-up for U of I Box.
- How do I Access, Create, and Share files in UIC’s OneDrive?
- How do I sign up for a U of I Box account?
- What are the Box terms of service?
Wepa is the university-wide print solution that enables users to send print jobs from their laptop or phone, or from a computer lab, and print at any Wepa print station. Wepa is a cloud-based system that offers integrations with Blackboard, Google Drive, and more. With over 70 stations installed across the university, printing is never far away.
Software & Applications
WebStore is the primary software distribution source for the University of Illinois. WebStore provides volume-license discounted software products available to students, faculty, and staff at UIC and the other two universities within the University of Illinois System. Learn more at the WebStore website.
Technology Solutions provides hands-on technical support for student, faculty, and staff personal laptops and mobile devices, assisting with connections to UIC-WiFi, virus/malware removal and protection, and installation of campus-licensed software. This service is available at the Richard J. Daley Library IDEA Commons.
Virtual Computer Lab
The Virtual Computer Lab provides UIC students, faculty, and staff with access to specialized software from their own devices.
- What software is available through Virtual Computer Lab?
- How can I get support for the Virtual Computer Lab?
- How do I connect to the Virtual Computer Lab using a browse?
- What can I do if I get an error saying “there are currently no available resources…” when attempting to connect to a Virtual Lab computer?
- Why can’t I access the Start menu in the Virtual Computer Lab?
- How do I connect to the Virtual Computer Lab using a mobile device?
- How do I connect to the Virtual Computer Lab using the desktop application?
The UIC community wireless network identifies itself as UIC-WiFi; only current students, faculty, and staff can use the UIC-WiFi. Students can access the UIC Wi-Fi using their UIC email or NetID and password. UIC Wi-Fi offers enhanced outdoor wireless coverage on both East and West campus locations. See maps below for hotspot locations.
- How do I connect to UIC-WiFi?
- How can I recognize the UIC WiFi network?
- How do I connect to UIC-WiFi using a Chromebook?
- How do I connect to UIC-WiFi using Android?
- How do I connect to UIC-WiFi using iPhone, iPod touch or iPad?
- How do I connect to UIC-WiFi using Windows?
- How do I connect to UIC-WiFi using MacOS?