Network Support Assistant
Network Support Assistants will spend their first semester with Technology Solutions assisting with various administrative and operational tasks while becoming familiar with the Technology Solutions network infrastructure and services offered to the university. See the UIC Help Center service catalog for a full list of services.
Employees in this role will then have the opportunity to progress to Network Support Specialists based on their interests and performance, where they will provide direct network support to students, faculty, and staff.
Administrative and operational tasks during the first semester consist of the following:
- Work with network engineers in a 4-week shadowing and training program designed to build your skills in customer relations, Technology Solutions, and technical competencies.
- Become familiar with the campus network, and network closet/facilities throughout campus.
- Perform basic network jack activations for clients on a daily basis.
- Enforce UIC Networking and Computing policies to clients
- Assist with equipment installation, replacement and disposal efforts (minimal lifting requirements vary based on assigned tasks)
- Special projects as assigned
*Network Support Assistants will spend a significant portion of their time training on and becoming familiar with the list of Technology Solutions services provided by the Technology Solutions Network Engineering Team to enable progression to the Network Support Specialist role.
To be considered for employment, you must meet all of the requirements below:
- Majoring preferably in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or similar related fields.
- Be registered for at least 6 credit hours.
- Have at least three (3) non-summer terms of study left at UIC. Your projected graduation date should be Fall 2020 or later. This is non-negotiable.
- Be in good academic standing.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. *Prior customer service experience preferred*
- Be able to work at least 10 hours per week between the hours of 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM, with a minimum of 2 consecutive hours per day.
- Be flexible in submitting hours of work availability. Your work schedule is built around your class schedule. We require each employee to submit a wide range of hours for scheduling consideration. You will be required to submit morning, daytime and evening availability from which a schedule is built.
- Attend mandatory training and shadowing days. Final hiring decisions are made contingent on your attendance and performance during training.
To be considered for this role, please complete the online application by Friday, April 2, 2021: https://go.uic.edu/TS-SD-Hiring