Spring 2021 Service Availability & Support Operations
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are adapting to new ways of working
The current pandemic presents different challenges and changes in processes for everyone in the UIC community. Technology Solutions is adapting to “new ways of working” and wants to ensure students, faculty, and staff have access to up-to-date information on academic technology services and support operations for the fall semester.
Technology Solutions is committed to providing students, faculty, and staff with a safe learning, teaching, and working environment. As of November 16, 2020, in-person and walk-in support is unavailable pending further notice. For up to date information on UIC’s response to COVID-19, please visit today.uic.edu/coronavirus
General Technology Support (e.g. Passwords, UIC-Wifi, Tech Support, VPN, etc.)
Available Monday through Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm. We recommend using our Contact Us form, or you can email us at email@example.com.
Available Monday through Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm by calling 312-413-0003 option 9. If you leave a message, a ticket will automatically be created on your behalf and we will follow up with you.
Walk-in and In-Person support will be not be available in the Spring semester. To schedule an appointment for virtual support, visit go.uic.edu/BSB-CStop.
Learning Technology Solutions Support (e.g. Blackboard, Lecture Capture, Panopto, etc)
Available Monday through Thursday, 7:30am to 9:00pm and Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm.
Available Monday through Thursday, 7:30am to 9:00pm and Friday 7:30am to 7:00pm by calling 312-413-0003 option 1. If you leave a message, a ticket will automatically be created on your behalf and we will follow up with you.
- In-Person Support
Walk-in and in-person support will not be available in Spring semester. Phone and email support remains available.
- Instructional Design
ID offices will be closed, but requests for Instructional Design and Blackboard consultation can be made online using the ID Office Hours Booking Calendar
- Academic Multimedia Lab
Academic Multimedia Lab will be available by appointment only for virtual consultations; requests can be made online using the Multimedia Booking Calendar.
- Short-term equipment lending will have limited availability for Fall semester. Email LTS@uic.edu for more information.
Most Technology Solutions services remain fully available and supported at this time, with some notable exceptions. For a list of all services and their operational status, please see this spreadsheet.
- General-use classrooms will not be open for the Spring 2021 semester.
- To help ensure the safety and well-being of UIC students and our staff, the Technology Solutions computer labs will be closed for the 2020-2021 Academic Year.
- UIC has made additional on-campus spaces available for students to use for studying and participating in synchronous remote classes. See provost.uic.edu/study-spaces for a listing of these spaces.
- Requests for new, moved, or repaired network data jacks are being processed but repair and installation services may be slightly delayed.
- Requests for new, moved, or changed telephones and mobile devices will be processed but there may be slight delays in service.
- There is no walk-in support for mobile devices. Support for mobile devices is being performed remotely and working closely with Verizon.
- There are over 70 Wepa print stations located across UIC. While some will not be accessible due to space closures, many remain operational.
- Touch-free printing is available through Wepa Express, a new feature on the Wepa mobile app (available in the App Store and Google Play). Download it to your smartphone and release print jobs from your phone without having to use the print station’s touchscreen. Learn more here.
- The University has made additional on-campus spaces available for students to use for studying and participating in synchronous remote classes. See provost.uic.edu/study-spaces for a listing of these spaces.
- The UIC Library is open for the Spring 2021 semester on a limited basis and has implemented a system that incorporates social distancing and safety practices in response to COVID-19.
- This system allows students to reserve a seat in the Chicago campus libraries while adhering to university safety measures. To learn how it works and to reserve a seat, please visit library.uic.edu/help/article/10121/visiting.
Technology Support & Resources
- Contracted and Hourly Service Call support will be limited to remote support whenever possible, utilizing callbacks and screen-sharing solutions to continue providing support. In-person support will be provided when necessary and with coordination to ensure the health and safety of Technology Solutions staff and our clients.
- The laptop and hotspot equipment loaner program reopened on 11/2/2020.
- Short-term equipment lending services have limited availability for the 2020-2021 Academic Year. If you have a critical academic need for equipment on a short-term basis, please contact LTS@uic.edu for available options.
- If you are a student in need of a long-term laptop or hotspot equipment, you may be able to apply for funding through the following programs:
- CARES Act* funding is available to students who file a Change of Financial Situation Appeal with the Office of Financial Aid. Learn more here: financialaid.uic.edu/faq/ and here: financialaid.uic.edu/aid-process/change-of-financial-situation/
- Students can also apply to the Dean of Students’ U and I Care program* for COVID related emergency funds: dos.uic.edu/student-assistance/uicare/u-i-care-fund/
- *Please note, these programs are NOT managed Technology Solutions. Please visit the CARES and Dean of Students’ U and I Care program pages for more information.
- The Academic Multimedia Lab will be available by appointment only for virtual consultations; requests can be made online using the Multimedia Booking Calendar.
- Short-term equipment lending for multimedia projects will have limited availability for 2020-2021 Academic Year. Email LTS@uic.edu for more information.
- Forgot your password? See how you can reset it on your own using your recovery options.
- If you are still having trouble, make a virtual appointment.
- Not able to come to campus? See how we can help you.
- In-person support will not be available for the remainder of the Spring 2021 semester. Make a virtual appointment up to two weeks in advance using our Booking calendar.