Educational Technologies Committee
The Educational Technologies Committee will discuss matters involving information and communication technologies that offer opportunities to transform teaching and to enhance learning at an unprecedented pace. There is an onslaught of new tools and services that campuses, faculty, or students might adopt to improve their educational environment. There, too, is considerable uncertainty about which are effective, whether and when benefits outweigh costs, and how best to harness these opportunities. Learning management systems, content management systems, social media, tools to support peer-to-peer instruction, applications for mobile phones, and services that support online and blended learning all present challenges and opportunities that require expertise to assess. Recommendations about when to invest in services, resources, and faculty development need to be grounded in learner-centered principles and coordinated so they are aligned with educational mission and priorities of the University. The Educational Technologies Committee is charged to advise leadership on ways to advance student engagement and learning through information technology, faculty development and related resource allocation and infrastructure development.
Objectives Heading link
- Identify information and communication technologies that could improve teaching efficacy, and student engagement and learning on campus.
- Assess the benefits, the costs, and the feasibility of implementing these technologies at UIC.
- Solicit input about teaching and learning needs from members of the faculty, the students, and department, college, and school administrations.
- Identify best practices for the use of these technologies.
- Develop a multi-year strategic plan that prioritizes the purchase, implementation, and operation of these technologies within the financial, personnel, and other resource allocations and constraints of the University.
- Develop a multi-year strategic plan that prioritizes the development of skills in members of the faculty and the support staff to efficiently and effectively adopt and use these technologies in their courses and in the curriculum.
- Develop and implement a process for evaluating the committee’s strategy for realizing its charge.
Membership Heading link
|Jonathan Art||College of Medicine|
|Martina Bode||College of Liberal Arts & Sciences|
|Amelia Brunskill (Co-Chair)||University Library|
|Dara Crowfoot||School of Continuing Studies|
|Larry Danziger||UIC Senate|
|Ramsey Donnell||John Marshall Law School|
|Shannon Dwyer||Student Systems Services|
|Jonathan Fair||Campus Learning Environments|
|David Hofman||College of Liberal Arts & Sciences|
|Amira Kefi||Graduate College Student|
|Stephen Kleinschmit||Public Administration|
|Mary Kopale (Co-Chair)||College of Pharmacy|
|Szymon Machajewski||Technology Solutions|
|Syedda Mehdi||College of Dentistry Administration|
|Michael Michela||College of Business Administration|
|Laura Mills||College of Applied Health Sciences|
|Christopher Mitchell||Jane Addams College of Social Work|
|Nancy Norman||College of Dentistry|
|Erin O'Leary||Center for the Advancement of Teaching Excellence|
|Nathan Phillips||College of Education|
|Natacha Pierre||College of Nursing|
|Michael Scott||Mechanical and Industrial Engineering|
|Michael Siciliano||College of Urban Planning and Public Affairs|
|Cheryl Towler Weese||College of Architecture, Design, & the Arts|
|Mike Yen||School of Public Health|
Sub-Committee: Heading link
|LMS Governance Board|
|Kheir Al-Kodmany||Szymon Machajewski|
|Max Anderson||Dibyen Majumdar|
|Jonathan Art||Michael Machela|
|Kimberly Barba||Catherine Moe|
|Mark Bennett||Simona Narubin|
|Martina Bode||Nancy Norman|
|Dara Crowfoot||Thomas Okon|
|Lisa Cushing||Mahnoor Rasheed|
|Sam Day||Rebecca Raszewski|
|Richard DeJonghe||Philip Reiter|
|Rebecca Jo Doran||Alana Steffen|
|Edward Garay||Karen Vuckovic|
|Leslie Hammersmith||Zhinan Wang|
|Mary Kopale||Elizabeth Weber|